Sign Our Open Letter
To: Our Colleagues, Students’ Families, Administrators, the Alliance Board of Directors, Students and Community:
We are dedicated and passionate teachers, counselors, and education professionals in the Alliance College-Ready Public Schools. We are committed to fulfilling the mission and vision of a college-ready education for all Alliance students.
Our students’ success depends on educators being an integral and respected partner, alongside families, administrators, and students in collaborative decision making. As the Alliance has grown to 26 schools and over 11,000 students, with plans for continued growth each year, we want to ensure a strong foundation of student-focused, teacher-led collaboration.
We are forming a union with United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) to have a collective and effective voice in the decision making processes at the Alliance. We believe this is the best way to achieve the highest quality learning environment for our students and working environment for ourselves including:
• a respected voice in all decisions impacting teaching and learning
• just cause and due process rights so that we can advocate for our students without fear
• retention, recruitment, and development of highly qualified and effective professional educators
• a fair evaluation system focused on our professional growth
• compensation and benefits no less than what 90% of LA educators already receive
• student-focused curriculum
• small class sizes
• transparency of school budgeting and maximum allocation of resources into the classroom
We call on our colleagues to join together to build a democratic organization of education professionals.
We call on the Alliance to respect our collective decision, to not exercise influence or interference, and to come to an agreement with us for a fair and neutral process to organize our union.
We are proud to be educators at Alliance. We look forward to working together as a community of professional educators with all stakeholders for our students’ and schools’ success.
Take the first step to join with us by signing onto our open letter below.